That last picture was not actually 6 years ago, but it’s one of my favorites. Oh, dear, I’m all verklempt! This’ll have to be a short post.
“Go wash up for dinner, ” I said.
“Why?” he answered.
“Because you’ve been playing outside and your hands are dirty. And it’s always a good idea to wash up before eating.”
(Off he went to wash up. When he came back, the conversation continued.)
“Let me see,” I said.
(He showed me)
“Ew! Still dirty! Go wash those hands again!”
“But Mommy, only my palms are dirty…I just need my fingers for food.”
I almost couldn’t argue with that.
Yesterday was not a good day for me and my clay. Everything I did either didn’t work, broke or just didn’t come out like I wanted it to. So this morning I was looking around the web for something that looks fun but not too difficult – time to regain some confidence. I found this great tutorial on 2 Good Claymates’ site. Carolyn is one of my guild-mates in the Polymer Clay Smooshers’ Guild of Art Fire.
The n0t-good-day seems to be continuing, as I can’t seem to get a picture of the very cool cane Carolyn came up with to post. Sooo, I’ll just go try it out and take pictures of MY version. (Yanno, this “I-can’t-post-pictures-of-other-peoples-stuff” problem could probably be resolved if I read WordPress’s help pages….)
UPDATE: So, here’s the proof – I did try this tute out and it’s very cool. However, my toaster oven has recently (like, about an hour ago) passed away, (grrrr) so the blue/white/gold extruder cane covered prescription bottle is not baked. But isn’t that cane cool??
Wow – have you ever had one of those mornings when you need coffee just to make the coffee? First I forgot to put the coffee in the maker – so I was just heating up water. Then I put in too much (I guess – it’s REALLY strong). Then I poured it on my cereal. Sigh.
Well, at least my cane making has been going better than that – WAY better! Long ago, I tried making a rose cane that, well, looked cool, but was not very rose-like. So, last Sunday I spent some time studying the lovely roses that Marcia Tzigelnik makes. It took a bit of concentration for me to get the idea of how to make these flowers look 3D, but I really like how they came out.
I used the scrap from my purple rose experiment to make some nice springy filigree pins:
And then, yesterday, I suddenly HAD to work on something I’ve wanted to try for a long while. The Kuna people (the women, anyway) of Panama wear beautifully vibrant reverse-appliqued fabric panels on their blouses. Here’s an example:
Check here for more fabulous examples!
Since I was introduced to this lovely craft (in a Piecework magazine article, years ago), I’ve wanted to make one. Thing is, although I love needlework of all kinds, I’ve never had the patience to try it in fabric. Somehow, I have more patience for fiddly stuff in polymer clay, so here’s my first pc mola (I decided to try one a bit less complex than the example above):
The small picture in the upper right is the image I was copying. Needs some work, but I’m really happy with it. Can’t wait to start the next one…but I have to go get some more clay first!! 🙂